Mama Shelter Lisbon: Lisbon's HOTTEST Hotel? You NEED to See This!
Mama Shelter Lisbon: Is It REALLY Lisbon's Hottest Hotel? Let's Find Out… (Spoiler: It's Complicated)
Okay, so "Hottest Hotel" is a big claim. A bold claim. Mama Shelter Lisbon? Yeah, I've seen the Instagram posts. The bloggers gushing. The photos that practically scream "cool." So, naturally, I had to check it out. My mission? To determine if this place is the real deal, or just another pretty face. And let me tell you, it was…an experience.
First impressions? Woah. Like, woah. Forget subtle. Forget understated. This place is a visual explosion. Think bold colours, mismatched furniture, witty slogans plastered everywhere…it’s a sensory overload in the best possible way. It's also, I'll be honest, a little overwhelming at first. You walk in, and you're not entirely sure where to look. I'm not usually one for overly designed spaces, but the sheer energy of Mama Shelter is undeniable.
Accessibility? Kinda… Meh.
Let's be real, accessibility is always a concern. Mama Shelter, bless their hearts, has some aspects covered, but it’s not a slam dunk. The elevator is there, which is a huge plus. They do claim to have facilities for disabled guests, but I didn't have the opportunity to check that, so I'm hoping they're up to snuff. Getting around the place itself seemed doable, but I didn't specifically scrutinize for all the nitty-gritty details. They're offering some stuff.
Inside the Bubble (and the Rooms)
Okay, the rooms. The rooms are where things get interesting. Again, design is king. Mine had a king-sized bed that basically swallowed the entire room (in a good way!). (Available in all rooms: Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.) I loved the vibe. It felt young, and stylish, but also…slightly…industrial? Concrete ceilings. Exposed pipes. It’s a look that’s becoming very popular, and they've nailed it. (The blackout curtains? Essential after a night at the bar.) Free Wi-Fi, of course (thank god!), and it was fast! A huge relief! My only real gripe? It was a bit…small. But hey, you're in Lisbon! You should be out exploring, not holed up in your room.
Cleanliness and Safety: Pandemic Edition
Important Stuff: Mama Shelter takes hygiene seriously, and I really appreciated it. (Anti-viral cleaning products, Breakfast takeaway service, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment) Seriously, these days, that matters! Everything felt clean and cared for, and they're clearly following all the protocols. Masks were worn by everyone, and there were sanitizer stations everywhere. That part definitely made me feel secure.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food, Fun, and…Maybe Regret?
Okay, let’s talk food and drink. This is where Mama Shelter really shines, or at least, where it tries to. I spent a fair amount of time at the bar because, well, research. The vibe is electric. (A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant) The drinks are well-made, the bartenders are friendly, and the music is loud and fun. Happy Hour is a must! Then there's the restaurant. It’s… ambitious, let’s say. The menu has everything and the kitchen sink! It was an international smorgasbord. Frankly, sometimes a smaller, more focused menu is better. Breakfast, luckily, was a buffet, and a pretty decent one at that.
The best thing, honestly? The poolside bar. (Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour]) A massive outdoor pool (though not with the amazing view like some other Lisbon hotels), and you can order cocktails and snacks and have them brought to you. Pure bliss. Pure, slightly tipsy, bliss.
The Activities, Relaxation, and "Stuff to Do"
(Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]) Alright, no spectacular "view pool", but a good pool nevertheless. The fitness center is there. I’m not sure if I utilized it, but it is there. Not much "relaxing" going on, really, other than poolside, which is perfect.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things (and the Big Ones)
Services and conveniences (Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center) Mama Shelter nails the basics. Daily housekeeping? Check. Friendly staff? Check. A concierge who can help with practically anything? Check. They even have a little gift shop, which is handy for snagging souvenirs (or a hangover cure). Contactless check-in/out was also a breeze.
For the Kids: Family-Friendly?
(Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal) I didn't have kids with me, but it seemed pretty child-friendly.
Getting Around: Easy Peasy
(Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking) Getting around Lisbon is pretty easy in general, and Mama Shelter makes it even easier. They offer airport transfers, valet parking (if you’re driving, which, good luck!), and taxi service.
The Verdict: So, Is Mama Shelter Lisbon REALLY the Hottest?
Okay, back to the original question. Is Mama Shelter Lisbon the "hottest hotel"? Well, maybe not the hottest. It's not perfect. It's got a few quirks (like the occasional design choice that leaves you scratching your head) and maybe tries to do a little too much at once. But…it’s incredibly fun. It’s lively. It’s stylish. It's got a great atmosphere. It's the kind of place you could easily spend a weekend getting into trouble at.
My final verdict? Yes, it's worth a visit. Especially if you like a bit of chaos and a whole lot of style.
NOW: The Irresistible Offer You Can't Refuse!
Tired of boring cookie-cutter hotels? Craving a Lisbon escape that's as vibrant and unforgettable as the city itself? Then look no further!
Book your stay at Mama Shelter Lisbon NOW and get:
- A Free Upgrade! (Subject to availability, of course. Because even the "hottest" hotels aren't perfect).
- A Complimentary Cocktail at the Legendary Bar! (Because you deserve it.)
- 5% Off all Spa Treatments! (So you can treat yourself to some "me time".)
- Free Wi-Fi in All Rooms! (Stay connected and share all the envy-inducing photos of your trip.)
- **Our Guarantee: We're so confident you'll love

Mama Shelter Lisboa: My Lisbon Love Affair (and Occasional Meltdown) - A Messy Itinerary
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your glossy magazine travelogue. This is real life, with all the jet lag, existential dread, and questionable food choices that entails. We’re heading to Mama Shelter Lisboa in Lisbon, Portugal, and frankly, I’m already picturing myself either utterly charmed or completely lost in the labyrinthine streets. Let's do this.
Day 1: Arrival & The Existential Dread of Suitcase Unpacking
Morning (ish) - Arrival & Hotel Shenanigans:
- The flight was…well, it was a flight. Three hours of recycled air and the existential dread of knowing I’d crammed too much into my carry-on. Landed at Lisbon Airport, and the air immediately felt different. Warmer, a little saltier, a hint of mystery.
- Taxi to Mama Shelter. Okay, first impressions: it's loud. Like, vibrant, energetic, "I'm-ready-to-party-at-2-pm" loud. Which, you know, I respect. I think. The lobby is a riot of colour, mismatched furniture, and that "I'm-cool-and-I-know-it" vibe that all Mama Shelters seem to have.
- Checking in. The receptionist was charming, even though I was a complete mess of sleep deprivation and travel-induced grumpiness. They gave me a room key, which I promptly nearly lost. Because, naturally.
- Unpacking the existential dread.*This is where things start to unravel. Unpacking always feels like I'm staring directly into the abyss of my own life choices. Do I *really* need that sequined top? Probably not. But will I wear it in Lisbon? That's what I'm here to find out. I then fell into a small panic attack as I realised I'd forgotten all my good socks. Life is cruel.
Afternoon - First Bites & A Stroll (Maybe):
- Lunch at the Mama Shelter Restaurant: Okay, the food situation. I was starving. Ordered the burger because honestly, it's a safe bet, right? Wrong. It was… fine. Perfectly acceptable. But I was hoping for something more. I wanted a taste of Portugal, not just a slightly fancier version of what I could get back home. The fries, bless them, were good though.
- Attempted Exploration: After lunch, decided to brave the Lisbon streets. Got lost within five minutes. This city… it's a maze! The hills are relentless. My calves are screaming. I took a wrong turn, ended up on a street with a gaggle of women gossiping like a chaotic symphony in the sunlight. Amazing.
- Emotional Fallout: I found a cafe and had a coffee. It's okay. I'm okay. I'm here. This is happening. Lisbon. I can do this. (Said to self while internally panicking).
Evening - Rooftop Drinks & The Promise of Tomorrow:
- Rooftop bar at the hotel: The saving grace of the day! The view from the rooftop is breathtaking. Lisbon stretching out before me, covered in terracotta roofs and bathed in golden light. The cocktails are expensive, but worth it for the view.
- The people watching: I saw a woman wearing a sequined catsuit (YES!), a couple arguing passionately in Portuguese (sounded romantic, even if I didn't understand a word), and a seagull who seemed to be judging my entire existence.
- Bedtime Routine: I made a mental note to remember to bring a book. I fell asleep before I could even open it.
Day 2: Tram 28 Shenanigans & Pastel de Nata Rapture
Morning - Coffee & A Bit More "Getting Lost":
- Found a cafe, which I will forever consider my new best friend. Espresso and a warm welcome from the baristas.
- Tram 28: The Infamous: The next item on the agenda. I heard the tram 28 is a must-do. Let's get on that tram…I did get on it. I should have read up on it first. Packed like sardines, elbow-to-elbow, dodging pickpockets – the whole shebang. It's a great way to see Lisbon, if you like feeling claustrophobic and slightly terrified. Still, the views were (as always) spectacular.
- More Getting Lost: After leaving the tram, I took a wrong turn and got lost again. It was a very enjoyable wrong turn.
Afternoon - Pastel de Natas & Cathedral Grandeur:
- Pastel de Natas: Stopped at Manteigaria (the one everyone recommends, and for good reason). Ordered three. Ate all three. No regrets. They were warm, creamy, crispy, and utterly divine. I could eat them for every meal. In fact, I might.
- Sé de Lisboa (Lisbon Cathedral): Soaked in history, beautiful gothic architecture. The quiet after the tourist-filled tram ride hit different.
- Emotion overflow: While I was marveling at the Cathedral, it hit me. I was genuinely happy in that moment. Actually happy. This city, despite its quirks and the occasional moments of sheer chaos, was making me feel… alive. Weird.
Evening - Fado & Emotional Overload:
- Fado Performance: I decided to get to know the local culture even more and purchased tickets for a Fado Performance - Traditional Portuguese music. It was incredibly sad; but beautiful. A true emotional rollercoaster. The singer's voice was raw, powerful, and utterly heartbreaking. I cried. Unabashedly, embarrassingly cried.
- Dinner at a traditional restaurant: After that emotional rollercoaster, I needed to eat something. The food was good, the atmosphere was romantic, and I felt a little less like a blubbering mess. I made a mental note to pack tissues for tomorrow.
Day 3: Day Trip to Sintra & The Grand Finale of the Trip.
Morning - Breakfast Panic & Train to Sintra:
- Slept in. Panicked. Rushed to the hotel breakfast and inhaled a croissant. Got on the train to Sintra, the fairytale town.
- The Train: The train was a little more packed than I was expecting. The people were all friendly though, and I think there was a dog. Good vibes.
Afternoon - Sintra Magic & Castle Dreams:
- Pena Palace: The main goal. I walked around it; I walked up to it; I thought about buying a ticket; and then I looked a little further and saw a huge queue. The queue was very long. I skipped it, because well, I'm on vacation; I have the right to be as spontaneous as I want, and I'm also impatient.
- Quinta da Regaleira: And this place! A mystical complex, with hidden tunnels, wells, and gardens filled with secrets. I walked through it a few times, a little lost, and a little bit amazed
- Street Wandering: More street-wanders! More Pastel de Natas! I think I'm developing a strong addiction to those little tarts.
Evening - Farewell Drinks & The Unpacking of the Heart:
- A final drink at a cute little cafe: Saw the sun slowly dipping below the horizon as I sipped a glass of vinho verde.
- Packing: As I pack, I can't help but think about this city. It’s been a roller coaster, for sure, but a really rewarding one. I've loved the messiness, the unexpected detours, the moments of pure joy.
This may not read like a travel guide, but it's the truth: Lisbon, and Mama Shelter Lisboa, have somehow managed to find a spot in my heart. And yes, I did forget the socks. But everything turned out okay.
Fairmont Southampton: Bermuda's Paradise Awaits (Luxury Getaway!)
Okay, so here's the thing. Good? Yes. Spectacular? Debatable. It's a whole *vibe*. Like, you walk in and BAM! Neon lights, a giant foosball table (which, by the way, I got utterly destroyed at), people dressed like they just stepped out of a fashion magazine (or maybe they *are* from a fashion magazine – who knows!), and a buzz that could power a small city. It's definitely not boring. But 'good' doesn't always equal 'perfect', you know?
Honestly? The rooftop. Forget the rooms (we'll get to those), the rooftop is where the magic *mostly* happens. Imagine: panoramic city views, a pool (though maybe not *huge*, let's be honest), cocktails that could make you forget your name (and probably will), and a DJ that is just on FIRE. I spent one afternoon there, and I swear, I forgot I had responsibilities. Pure bliss. Until, you know, the bill came... Ouch. My bank account weeps.
Okay, the rooms. They’re...fine. Don’t get me wrong, they’re stylish, with that signature Mama Shelter aesthetic: fun, quirky, a bit…much. Think exposed concrete, quirky lamps, maybe a rubber ducky on the bathroom shelf. But the reality is, they're on the smaller side. I mean, a cozy shoe box would be more generous. And honestly? With the rooftop and the city right outside, you're probably not going to spend *that* much time in them. I felt a weird impulse to upgrade, but I didn't and I'm not sure I regret it. It's a place to sleep, not to write the next great novel (unless your novel *is* called "The Very Small Hotel Room"). Mine had a broken light fixture too, and when I asked them on the appchat thing they just never got back to me!
Okay, the restaurant situation. This is a rollercoaster, people. The food itself? Pretty good. Stylish. Modern. You know the drill. But the *prices*, sweet lord, the prices! I mean, I wouldn't recommend it every night. My bank account started to quiver in fear. I mean, I ended up eating a lot of bread, just to feel like I was getting *something* for the money. But sometimes, you just gotta treat yourself, right? And yes, The restaurant interior itself is beautiful and trendy, so make sure to bring your camera, you know, for the Instagram. But yeah, the food is nice… But you pay for it. I was thinking I could get a decent steak, but I ended up spending a fortune. I even tried to order a cheap wine. They didn't have cheap wine.
Honestly? It's geared towards the party people, or at least, the vaguely cool people. You know the type: effortlessly stylish, always up for fun, and probably fluent in at least three languages. Families? Probably not ideal, unless your kids are already mini-trendsetters. Couples? Potentially romantic, but it depends on if you're into the whole 'loud music until 2 AM' vibe. It’s a hotel of contrasts. The room was small, but the lobby was big. The music was loud, but the atmosphere was chilled out. Just be aware of it. I saw one poor couple trying to have a quiet dinner, but there was an impromptu conga line that started around them by the staff.

