Namibia's Hidden Gem: Organic Square Guesthouse - Swakopmund Oasis!
Namibia's Hidden Gem: Organic Square Guesthouse - Swakopmund Oasis! - A Review (and a Rant!)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to unleash a review of Organic Square Guesthouse - Swakopmund Oasis! in Namibia, and let me tell you, it's been a journey. Forget your pristine, robotic hotel reviews. This is real. This is messy. This is… well, probably too honest.
First things first: The Hook! (aka, The Why You Should Even Bother Reading This)
Let's be real. Swakopmund is… interesting. Think desert meeting the Atlantic, a bit of German colonial history thrown in, and winds that could straight up steal your wig. Finding a good hotel there? Gold dust. This place? Organic Square Guesthouse? It’s not perfect – far from it – but it’s got a certain… je ne sais quoi. And yes, that’s a French phrase, because you're going to feel like traveling more than any time by the end of this review, I promise.
Accessibility: Mostly a Solid Start (But Not Perfect, Sadly)
Okay, the basics: Yes, they do try. The guesthouse is mostly wheelchair accessible, with an elevator (a lifesaver after a day sandboarding!), but I'm going to level with you – Namibia in general isn't exactly built for perfect accessibility. The sidewalks can be a bit uneven, and the terrain around the area is sandy - hey, it's the desert. But Organic Square seems to have made a good effort and gets a gold star for that. They have facilities for disabled guests, so that's a huge plus. They also have a front desk [24-hour], which is super handy when you're battling jet lag.
Cleanliness and Safety: Where They Shine! (And It's a Relief!)
This is where Organic Square seriously impressed me, especially since, you know, post-pandemic, we're all a little (okay, a LOT) germ-phobic. They've got anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, and staff that's trained in safety protocol. They have a first aid kit and doctor/nurse on call, which, let's be honest, is reassuring. There's CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside the property, plus security [24-hour]. Honestly? I felt safer there than I do in my own apartment. And the room sanitization opt-out available is a great option.
Rooms: Comfortable, Not Spa-Like (But You're Not a Spa, Are You?)
Okay, the rooms. Mine had… well, it had a certain character. Let’s just call it “lived-in charm.” You've got your standard fare: Air conditioning (essential in the Namibian heat) bathroom with a decent shower, complimentary tea, coffee/tea maker, and a fridge (crucial for holding those delicious Windhoek Lagers). I had free Wi-Fi, in-room safe box (always a good thing), and thankfully managed to get a non-smoking room, which is a MUST for me. They got a desk, ironing facilities, and the ability to get daily housekeeping. There was a hair dryer (thank God!), safety/security feature, and a wake-up service (because sometimes you just need to be dragged out of bed to see the sunrise over the dunes). Be wary: Not all the rooms have balconies, so if you are a smoker, make sure to get one with smoking area.
The only truly annoying part of my room experience? The alarm clock. Seriously, it was like something out of the 1980s – flashing numbers, a sound that could wake the dead, and a manual so complicated I needed a master's degree in applied nuclear physics to work it. BUT, I am getting off-topic.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Decent, but Don't Expect Michelin Stars
Alright, food. The breakfast [buffet] was good, it had a lot of options, and it was fresh. They also have Asian breakfast and International Cuisine in restaurant. They do have a restaurant, and a coffee shop, with options to order A la carte in restaurant, and also room service [24-hour], as well as a snack bar. They even had a vegetarian restaurant. The happy hour was great. The poolside bar was a nice touch. The food itself wasn't gourmet, but it was tasty, filling, and, crucially, didn’t give me food poisoning (a definite win). They have alternative meal arrangement, and even bottle of water, which is important in the desert.
Things to Do: A Real Mixed Bag (But Mostly Good)
This is where Organic Square really shines. You're in Swakopmund, which is the adventure capital of Namibia!
- Beaches: The beach is close by, but unless you are a very enthusiastic swimmer, I will recommend you do not go swimming.
- Adventure: You can organize sandboarding, quad biking, dolphin cruises, and even skydiving through the guesthouse (or just outside of it). This is a must!
- Relaxation: I dove into the pool [outdoor] after a long day of activities, and the view was spectacular.
Ways to Relax: A Bit Hit-and-Miss, Honestly
This is where Organic Square could improve. They have a sauna, spa/sauna, and steamroom, which is a good start, and while they advertise a spa, you won't find the same level of luxury as your typical resort-style setup. They do offer massage, and body wrap, and body scrub.
Services and Conveniences: Solid and Helpful
They had pretty much everything you'd expect – a concierge, currency exchange, dry cleaning, invoice provided, and laundry service. They had luggage storage which as a traveler is a God-send. There's also daily housekeeping, doorman, and a gift/souvenir shop. They even seem to have car park [free of charge]. They have cash withdrawal, and are family/child friendly.
Getting Around: Easy Peasy (Mostly)
Getting around is pretty straightforward. They offer an airport transfer (which I STRONGLY recommend – that Namibian sun is brutal!), and taxi service. They have a car park [free of charge].
For the Kids: Family-Friendly (But Don't Expect Disneyland)
They have babysitting service and kids meal.
The Quirks, the Annoyances, and the Honest Truth
- The Internet: The Wi-Fi [free] in the rooms was generally good, but occasionally patchy. The Internet access – LAN was better.
- The Staff: The staff are incredibly lovely and helpful. They dealt with my endless questions and requests with a smile.
The Verdict: Book It? (With a Few Caveats)
Look, Organic Square Guesthouse isn't perfect. The rooms could be updated, and the spa experience isn't top-tier. But. It's clean, safe, and the location is perfect (close to everything, yet still quiet). The staff is genuinely nice. And honestly? After a day of sandboarding, all you really need is a clean bed, a cold beer, and a place to watch the sunset. Organic Square provides that. And sometimes, that's more than enough.
My Emotional Reaction:
This place made me happy. I'm not going to lie. It wasn't a flawless experience, but it had heart. I have a complicated relationship with hotels; sometimes, they feel too sterile, too impersonal. Organic Square felt like someone's actual home, and I love that.
The Imperfections:
- The hot water in the shower? Sometimes non-existent.
- The coffee at breakfast? Not the greatest.
- The "view" from my room? Okay, it was a wall. But that's life, right? Not always glamorous, sometimes you get a view of a wall.
The Anecdote:
One morning, after a particularly wild night out (don't ask), I was extremely late for breakfast. I stumbled down, convinced I'd missed it. The staff, bless their hearts, had already cleared the buffet. But the waitress, God love her, took one look at me, with my messy hair and bloodshot eyes, and said, "Don't worry, sir. We have some leftover sausages and eggs. And strong coffee." That, my friends, is hospitality.
The Offer: Book Your Swakopmund Adventure!
Ready to experience the magic of Namibia? Book your stay at Organic Square Guesthouse - Swakopmund Oasis! today! *Use the code "WANDERLUST" at checkout and get 10% off your stay, plus a complimentary bottle of Namibian wine (because you deserve it!).
Turkey's Most Stunning Cave Hotel: Goreme's Hidden Gem!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're not just planning a trip to Swakopmund, Namibia – we're surviving it. And, let's be honest, probably falling a little bit in love with it along the way. This is going to be a mess. A glorious, sand-in-your-shoes, slightly-burnt-by-the-sun, and incredibly-happy mess. This is MY itinerary.
Operation: Swakopmund Bliss (and Possible Disaster)
Accommodation: Organic Square Guesthouse. I booked this place assuming "organic" meant "free from actual humans who will try to sell me things at 6 am." Pray for me.
Day 1: Arrival and That First Swakopmund Sensation (aka, "Where Did All the Sand Come From?")
- Morning (ish): Touch down at Walvis Bay Airport. Okay, first impression: Namibia is vast. Like, "you could lose a small country in this country" vast. The airport is charmingly small. The air is… dry. Like, my skin is already plotting world domination through dryness.
- Transport: Shuttled to Organic Square. Fingers crossed the shuttle driver doesn't regale me with tales of his ex-wife for the entire hour.
- Afternoon: Check into Organic Square. Pray the room doesn't have a rogue scorpion. Or a creepy painting. Or, you know, the aforementioned human trying to sell me things.
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening: The Swakopmund Stroll. Okay, this is it. The first real taste of Swakopmund. I'm picturing charming cafes, quaint shops, and… sand. Everywhere. Seriously, where does it all come from? I'm getting a vibe check to this "Atlantic Coast" thing. Let's hit the beach. Walk the pier. Feel the ocean. Snap a selfie looking incredibly "travel-insta-ready" even though I probably look like a startled meerkat in my hat.
- Evening: Dinner at The Tug Restaurant. Everyone raves about it. I hope it lives up to the hype. I am starving. I'm envisioning mountains of seafood, maybe even a sneaky glass of Namibian wine. Or three.
- Night: Unpack and realize I packed way too many pairs of shoes. Swear I'll wear the good ones tomorrow. Sleep off all the anticipation.
Day 2: Sandboarding (and the Imminent Threat of Face-Planting)
- Morning: Sleep in! (Hopefully. See above re: early-morning sales pitches). Breakfast at Organic Square. Pray the "organic" means delicious and filling.
- Morning (later): Holy wow. SANDBOARDING. I signed up for this. I'm not completely sure why. I am terrified. I will be wearing a helmet. I will probably look ridiculous. I will also almost certainly eat sand. I am mentally preparing for the inevitable face-plant. Wish me luck. This is the one thing I'm most excited and scared about. I'm going to embrace the fear though, I'll tell you that much.
- Afternoon: Wipe the sand from everything. Shower. Question all the life choices that led me here. Seriously, HOW MUCH SAND is going to be involved?
- Afternoon (late): Relax. Recover from the sandboarding ordeal. Maybe a massage? Or just a giant nap.
- Evening: Dinner at a restaurant with a decent view. Maybe something a little more "civilized" than The Tug. If I can find one.
Day 3: Desert Adventures & More Sand (Because, You Know, Namibia)
- Morning: Optional: Take a guided tour of the desert. I'm torn. I love the idea of spotting wildlife, but the thought of being stuck in a car with a talkative guide for hours… Ugh. The indecision is a killer, but I'll make it.
- Afternoon: Settle on the afternoon tour. My guide is not talkative, only informative. He knows so much about the plants and animals, I'm in awe.
- Evening: I've gotten used to the sand. I'm finally in love with this place. Dinner on the beach (if possible. If not, I'll just stare at the ocean while eating a burger.)
- Night: Pack again - I'll move on to my next destination. Reminisce about the fun I had in my favorite place so far.
Day 4: Departure. This is the dreaded day. The day you have to leave your favorite place, forever.
Throughout the Trip: The Unscripted Bits (and My Constant Emotional Rollercoaster)
- Sunscreen: I'll buy it. I will apply it. I will still get a sunburn because apparently I'm genetically predisposed to glowing like a lighthouse.
- Photography: I will attempt to take stunning landscape photos. They will probably look like blurry blobs. But I'll try!
- Random Encounters: I fully expect to meet a bunch of weird and wonderful people. Maybe I'll make a friend! Or at least someone to commiserate with over a too-salty meal.
- The "What Am I Doing with My Life?" Factor: Travel always triggers existential crises. I'm prepared for this. Bring on the philosophical musings under the Namibian stars!
- Food: I’m going to overeat. I'm going to try everything. I'm going to complain about portion sizes in a country where everything is supposed to be so huge. Fine. I'll embrace the Namibian food coma. And the extra kilos.
Important Notes:
- This itinerary is a suggestion, not a law. I reserve the right to change it on a whim. I'm also a terrible planner, so expect the unexpected.
- I will probably get lost. A lot.
- I will develop a weird obsession with something completely random. Prepare yourselves.
- Most importantly: I'm going to have a blast. This is going to be amazing. Or disastrous. Or both. And that's the whole point!
- Enjoy the journey, embrace the mess, and try not to hate the sand as much as I probably will.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go stare at my suitcase and panic about what shoes to leave out. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.
Uncover the Secrets of Kohaku Amber: Kamakura's Hidden Gem
Organic Square Guesthouse: Truth, Tales, and Totally Honest FAQs About That Swakopmund Oasis...
Okay, okay, so what *actually* makes Organic Square special? Is it just another guesthouse trying to sound fancy?
Alright, let's be real. "Organic" and "Square" sound a *bit* pretentious, don't they? But honestly? They kinda deliver. It's not just about being *another* guesthouse. I've stayed in my fair share, trust me. This place? It breathes. Literally. The air just felt different, fresher, thanks to all the plants. It's a conscious effort, which, as a cynic, I appreciated. They actually seem to care about the environment, the food, and the guests, not just the bottom line.
More than that, though, the location is absolutely killer. You're in Swakopmund, which is already amazing, but tucked away, close enough to the action, yet far enough removed that you can actually *hear* yourself think – a luxury, believe me. Plus, the staff? They’re not just hired hands; they’re friendly, helpful, and actually seem *happy* to be there. That makes a HUGE difference, you know?
Look, I'm a tough critic. Found a loose tile by the pool once - devastating. But Organic Square? It's genuinely good. And that says something.
What are the rooms REALLY like? Are we talking cramped and dusty, or actually comfortable?
Okay, room intel. This is crucial. No one wants to be crammed into a shoebox, right? Thankfully, the rooms at Organic Square are… well, they're lovely. Seriously. They're bright, airy, and surprisingly spacious (I hate cramped hotels!!!). Think clean lines, natural light pouring in, and a real sense of calm. They’ve got a minimalist design, which is a win, in my book. Less clutter, more… well, *zen*.
The beds? Oh, the beds! Seriously, I could have happily spent a week just horizontal. They’re incredibly comfortable. I think I saw a memory foam topper. And the bathrooms? Updated and sparkling. The water pressure was fantastic, which is a small thing, but a BIG deal when you've been bouncing around the desert all day. *cough* I take long showers. *cough*
My only teeny, tiny, nitpicky issue? The lack of a full-length mirror. I'm vain, and I need to assess before heading out for dinner! Don't judge. But, hey, small potatoes. Overall? A definite thumbs-up. And a recommendation to bring your own full-length mirror.
The food. Talk to me about the FOOD! Is it actually "organic" and worth the hype?
Right. The food. This is where Organic Square really shines, at least in my experience. And yes, the 'organic' thing? Seems legit. You can taste the difference. First morning I had breakfast (included, hallelujah!), and it was just… *chef's kiss*. Fresh fruit, homemade bread, the works. And the coffee? Divine. Seriously strong, which is exactly what I need to face the Namibian sun.
I was particularly impressed by the dinner options. (I ate there for one night- mostly because I was too lazy to go anywhere else, but that’s another story.) They offer a fixed menu, and it's not your usual boring hotel fare. They clearly put a *lot* of thought into the ingredients. The fresh salads were just incredible. The vegetables looked like they had been brought to the table directly from the farm. I think I saw the chef actually going out picking flowers the day before to decorate the plates. They clearly give a damn, which is so hard to find. And the wines? I had a Namibian Cabernet Sauvignon that was absolutely gorgeous.
Pricey? Maybe a little. But honestly, for the quality? Worth it. And you know what? Everything tasted *clean*. Not sure how else to describe it. That feeling that your soul is as clean as the plate after you are done. My biggest complaint? I ended up eating so much, that I felt absolutely stuffed. That's not really a complaint though, is it?
What about the location? Is it easy to get around to see all the Swakopmund sights?
Location, location, location! Absolutely. Organic Square is perfectly positioned. You’re close enough to walk to the main attractions, restaurants, and the beach, but it's also tucked away in a quiet area. That balance is gold, believe me. Swakopmund is a lovely little town, and being able to stroll around and soak it all in is a huge plus.
The famous Swakopmund Jetty? A quick walk. The quirky shops? Easy peasy. The restaurants? A stone's throw away. You can spend the day exploring, then easily retreat back to the quiet of the guesthouse. (Because, let’s face it, sometimes you just need an escape from the other tourists.)
Now, a word of warning: I *did* get lost once. But that was my fault. I have a terrible sense of direction, and Google Maps occasionally fails (shocking, I know!). But honestly, it’s super easy to get around. Seriously, this place is just perfectly placed for exploring the town. And that saves money on taxis! Win-win.
What kind of activities can you do from Organic Square? Is it a base camp for adventures?
Oh, Swakopmund is adventure central! And yes, Organic Square is a *fantastic* base camp. You can book tours directly from the guesthouse - which, by the way, is super convenient. Sandboarding? Check. Quad biking? Check. Desert tours? Check. They've got connections, essentially. And that’s a lifesaver.
I went sandboarding. Epic. Absolutely wipe-out-tastic. I'm not a natural, let's be honest. But it was *so* much fun. And the Organics Square team was super helpful recommending the best tour and helping me get my gear together. Afterwards, I limped back, covered in sand (and probably a little bit of ego), and collapsed into the pool. Heavenly. They gave me a cold beer waiting for me after. God bless those people.
Seriously though, even if you aren't into the adrenaline-pumping stuff, you can just chill at the beach, explore the town, go for a walk. There's something for everyone. My advice? Book the sandboarding. Laugh at me. Just do it. And then come back and tell me all about it!
Anything you *didn't* like? The real, unfiltered truth, please!
Okay, okay, here's the dirt. Nothing's perfect. And I look for those imperfections, trust me, it's my job. It wasn't *all* rainbows and sunshine.
Firstly, the Wi-Fi. It was a little spotty at times. Fine for checking emails and whatnot, but not idealSave On Hotels Now

