Victoria Falls Backpackers: Zambia's BEST Livingstone Adventure!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the wild, wonderful, and sometimes slightly chaotic world of Victoria Falls Backpackers: Zambia's BEST Livingstone Adventure! Let's be honest, "BEST" is a bold claim. But is it… actually? I'm here to tell you, from the perspective of someone who's chased waterfalls and battled the Zambezi sun, that it comes pretty darn close. And I'm going to dissect this place, warts and all, because that's how we roll, right?
(Let's Gooooo! - Okay, deep breaths)
Accessibility & Safety First (Because Safety's Sexy, Folks)
Okay, so, I'm not in a wheelchair, and I can definitely walk the walk, but I did notice they've got some facilities for disabled guests. It's Zambia, so don't expect ramps everywhere, but they seem to be trying. CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Security [24-hour], and fire extinguishers peppering the place gives you a comfy safe feeling. Smoke alarms are a welcome sight too. This is HUGE, especially if you're backpacking solo like I was - knowing there's security actually doing something is a big win. First aid kit? Check. Doctor/nurse on call? Double-check (always a good idea after one too many Mosi beers).
And let’s talk about COVID, because it's still a bloody thing, right? Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, individually-wrapped food options, physical distancing of at least 1 meter… They're attempting, which is admirable. They even offer room sanitization opt-out available, which is a nice touch if you're paranoid like me. Hand sanitizer is everywhere, which is good. Staff trained in safety protocol? Well, they seemed to be, at least.
Cleanliness? Honestly, the rooms are clean, and the sheets smelled fresh. But… it's a backpackers. Expect rustic charm, not a sterile hospital. The common areas… well, they're what you'd expect. Busy, but clean enough. I'm not gonna lie, I saw a rogue bug or two… Welcome to Africa! But overall, it’s a solid "A" for effort.
Internet - The Digital Nomad's Nightmare (and Dreams)
Okay, let’s be real: internet in Zambia is a thing. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YAY! …Except it was a bit patchy. On a good day, I could almost stream Netflix. Sometimes I wanted to scream into the void. But hey, it’s Africa. Embrace the digital detox, maybe? The Internet [LAN] option is there, but I didn't bother. Wi-Fi in public areas? Yeah, it was better there, but still… Patience, my friend, patience. Internet access in general exists.
Rooms - Where the Magic (and Mosquitoes) Happen
Right, the rooms. They're non-smoking. Phew. Air conditioning? Yes! Bliss after a day of exploring. Each room has a desk and a laptop workspace (which is good because of the wifi problems.). You'll get all the usual suspects: a closet, a mini-bar, a safety box, complimentary tea, and free bottled water. There are even blackout curtains, which is a godsend if you want to sleep past sunrise (I didn't always achieve this). My bed was comfortable, with extra-long and soft linens.
They have an alarm clock, wake-up service, hair dryer, ironing facilities, and bathrobes! This is definitely luxury for backpackers. There's a private bathroom with separate shower/bathtub, hot water, toiletries, towels (important!), and slippers (luxury!).
Here’s the BIG reveal: Victoria Falls Backpackers, and this is the highlight for me, they have Interconnecting rooms available! I didn't know that, I ended up alone, but if you're travelling with friends, this is a freaking genius. And, the window opens – fresh air and sounds of the Zambezi River or the party, depending on which way you're facing. I'm a sucker for details and noticed reading lights, and sockets near the bed – you need this guys!
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (AKA, The Fuel for Adventure)
Okay, food. This is key. They had a restaurant and a bar. Restaurants, coffee shops and snack bars. And a poolside bar! Winning. You get international cuisine, Western cuisine and Asian cuisine. Happy hour is a must, obviously. Breakfast [Buffet]. Yes, please! (Actually, they offer Asian breakfast and western breakfast, it was all good, I loved it.)
I spent a good amount of time at the poolside bar. One arvo I had a bottle of water and a salad in the restaurant. The staff – bless them – will do their best! The coffee/tea was decent. They have desserts, soup and a la carte in restaurant - enough to keep you going. Breakfast service? You betcha. They even have a vegetarian restaurant.
Here is the messiest truth about dining in Victoria Falls Backpackers. Okay, so the food is… fine. It leans towards "filling" rather than "gourmet." I had a burger one day that was… memorable. In a “I’ll always remember the patty I ate in Zambia” kind of way. The service can be a little slow, especially when it's busy, and sometimes, the buffet is… less than fresh. But hey, you're not here for Michelin stars, are you? You're here to bungee jump and see the falls. And the food is enough to keep you energized.
Then, one night, after a particularly long day of exploring and a bit too much sun, I ordered room service [24-hour] for a late-night snack. And the guy brought me the bottle of water and asked a simple question. "You okay, sir?" I loved that guy!
Things to Do and Ways to Relax (Waterfalls! And… More Waterfalls!)
Right. Let's get to the good stuff. Swimming pool [outdoor]? Absolutely. It was fantastic, especially after a day of sweating in the savannah. A pool with a view! Yes! There is a gym/fitness center, a spa, and a massage (ooh la la!).
I went for a body scrub and a foot bath. I also saw a sauna, a spa/sauna, and a steamroom, but didn't go in those.
A Note on the Spa: Okay, the spa is… basic. Don't expect a luxurious experience. But the massage was actually pretty good! And hey, after a day of walking, white-water rafting, or screaming at the top of your lungs at Victoria Falls, you'll be grateful for anything that kneads the knots out of your back.
The Things to Do! This is what you're here for! The falls, the bungee jumping, the white-water rafting, the sunset cruises, the game drives… The list goes on. Victoria Falls Backpackers is a great base for all of it. They can help you book tours and activities. They are good for recommendations.
Services and Conveniences (The Stuff That Makes Life Easier)
So many things! Laundry service? Yes! Dry cleaning? Yes! Daily housekeeping? Yes! Currency exchange? Yes! Cash withdrawal? Yep. Concierge? Yup. They also do food delivery.
Cashless payment service? Bingo! On-site event hosting? This is a backpackers so this is for small parties, not black-tie galas. But really, they have you covered!
For the Kids (Because Families Travel, Too!)
Family/child friendly? Yep! Babysitting service? Possible. Kids meal? Probably. I didn't have any kids, so I can't really speak to this, but I did see families there.
Getting Around (Adventure Without the Adventure of Getting Lost)
Airport transfer? Yes! Taxi service? Definitely. Car park [free of charge]? Yup. Bicycle parking? Well, you could bring a bike.
The Quirks (Because No Place is Perfect)
Okay, here’s the real tea: it is a backpackers. So, expect noise. Especially at night. Prepare for some serious partying. Don't expect perfect privacy. The staff is generally friendly, but they're not always on top of things.
The overall Vibe is amazing, and that's what I loved it for.
The Verdict: Is Victoria Falls Backpackers Worth It?
HELL YES!
It's not perfect, but it’s a fantastic base camp for adventure. Victoria Falls Backpackers has a great
PICO DE LORO Paradise: Stunning 1BR Condo Awaits in Nasugbu!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's travel itinerary. This is a Livingstone, Zambia adventure, written by a soul who's probably going to mess it all up, get lost, and fall in love with a Zambezi sunrise. Basically, prepare for beautiful chaos. We're starting at Victoria Falls Backpackers, which, fingers crossed, is as chilled out as the reviews say. Let's go!
Day 1: Arrival & Zambezi Dreams (Maybe a Bit of a Disaster, TBH)
- Morning (ish) (Or, Let's Be Real, Late Afternoon): Arrive at Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport (LVI). Okay, landing was smooth. Getting through customs? Not so much. Turns out my "hilarious" customs declaration form (filled out after a very bumpy, turbulence-ridden flight) was probably not as witty as I thought. Luckily, the Zambian official took pity on my jet-lagged misery and let me through. Phew. Finally, a taxi to Victoria Falls Backpackers. I'm picturing a peaceful oasis, but I'm also half-expecting a hostel full of party animals. Pray for me.
- Afternoon/Evening: Okay, so the hostel is… vibrant. And by vibrant, I mean a swirling vortex of backpackers, loud music (good loud, mostly), and the enticing smell of BBQ. Check in. Find my dorm bed (fingers crossed it doesn't have bedbugs). Settle in, unpack, and immediately panic about the state of my backpack. Did I really pack that many clothes? Do I really need that sequined top? Probably not. Forced to re-pack.
- Evening: SUNSET ZAMBEZI RIVER CRUISE! The main event of the day! I've booked this thing. It's supposed to be pure magic - sipping cocktails, watching the sunset paint the sky with fire, maybe even spot some hippos! I'm trying to be civilized after my hectic travel day, but I won't lie, my nerves are frayed. Trying to get myself and my camera gear ready for the cruise, I might be a little stressed. Trying to make sure I have my phone with me with the chargers, and finding the perfect camera to video the sunset is the only idea I have in my mind.
- Late Evening: CRUISE TIME and Epic Fail!! Yes, it was magical. The colors… the light… the river. Stunning. But here's the thing. I, in my infinite wisdom, dropped my phone IN THE ZAMBEZI. I’m not even kidding. I was too busy being “instagram-worthy” that I knocked it right off the boat when trying to capture the perfect snap. Thankfully, someone saw me and helped me. After the cruise, I’m gonna drown the sorrows (and the phone) in copious amounts of Zambezi beer. Note to self: Leave the fancy gadgets at the hostel tomorrow.
- Accommodation: Victoria Falls Backpackers. The dorm situation is… well, it’s a dorm. Hoping for a good night's sleep, despite the potential for snorers and midnight snack raids.
Day 2: Waterfalls, Walks, and the Reckoning (The Good, The Bad, and the Wet)
- Morning: Wake up (surprisingly not hungover, win!). Breakfast at the hostel - probably some weird toast and instant coffee, but I don't care, I'm alive! Then, it's the big one: Victoria Falls. Okay, so let me tell you something about Victoria Falls: it's… loud. Like, REALLY loud. The spray is intense, you get absolutely soaked, and the sheer power of the water is astonishing. I did the walk, all the viewpoints…and I was just in awe. It felt almost spiritual. Took a million photos, mostly blurry because of the spray, but I don't even care.
- Afternoon: Bungee jumping?! I actually hesitated. I mean, jumping off a bridge into a gorge… it's not exactly my idea of fun. But everyone was doing it, and peer pressure is a powerful thing. I am now a bungee jumper! The freefall was terrifying, exhilarating, and over in about two seconds. I screamed the whole time. But… I survived! And I have a t-shirt to prove it! Feeling the adrenalin running through the veins.
- Evening: Dinner Out. Eating at a local Zambian restaurant. Trying nshima (a staple made from maize flour) and some sort of stew. It was… an experience. Let's just say it was hearty. And the service? Well, "relaxed" is an understatement. But hey, it's all part of the adventure, right? Trying to get some rest to prepare for a busy rest of the week. Maybe the phone will be dry.
- Accommodation: Victoria Falls Backpackers. The dorm is starting to feel like "home," in the loosest possible sense of the word.
Day 3: Adventure Activities and Cultural Immersion (Still Alive!)
- Morning: White water rafting! This is going to be awesome. Or terrifying. Probably both. It's the Zambezi River, after all. This is the adventure I came for! Full of excitement, and a little nervous, I find myself on the banks of the river with the rest of my group. I've booked a professional for this session. It's the only way to go.
- Afternoon: After a morning of adrenaline overload, I desperately need some cultural immersion. Visiting a local village is on the cards. Seeing how the Zambians live, learning about their traditions… I want to connect with the real Zambia, not just the thrill-seeking touristy stuff. This could be the best part of the trip.
- Evening: Back at the hostel after an overwhelming day. Time to reflect, write in my travel journal, and maybe have a beer or two to unwind. Or, if I'm feeling brave, I might try to order some take-out for my tired self.
- Accommodation: Victoria Falls Backpackers. I'm starting to know the other occupants. Bonding over tales of near-death experiences and questionable food choices.
Day 4: The Devil's Pool and Farewell (Maybe Tears Will Be Shed)
- Morning: THE DEVIL'S POOL! You know, the one right on the edge of the falls where you can swim (with a guide, obviously!). The thought of being on the edge of one of the world's biggest waterfalls is pretty terrifying. But I had to. Getting the shot took forever, but it was amazing. The most unique experience, ever.
- Afternoon: Last-minute souvenir shopping. I managed to haggle a little. Feeling weirdly sentimental about leaving.
- Evening: Farewell dinner with the group. Talking about amazing experiences and making plans to see each other again. Getting all emotional.
- Accommodation: Victoria Falls Backpackers and the end of the trip.
Day 5: Departure (and the Aftermath of Adventure)
- Morning: Wake up to a hangover, pack my life into a backpack, and head to the airport. Taking the memories with me.
- Departure: Take off. Leaving Livingstone.
Random Notes & Observations:
- Food: Zambian food is… an experience. I've never eaten so much nshima in my life. And the peri-peri chicken is… intense.
- People: The Zambian people are incredibly friendly and welcoming. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation.
- Budgeting: I'm probably going to blow my budget. Whatever. Worth it.
- Mistakes: I'm guaranteed to mess something up. Forget something. Get hopelessly lost. That's part of the fun.
- The Zambezi: The river is life. That's all.
This itinerary is just a guideline. I’ll probably change it a million times. That's the beauty of travel. It's about embracing the unknown, rolling with the punches, and making memories for a lifetime. Wish me luck. And pray for my phone.
Cheers!
Escape to Paradise: Cambrils Marina's Best Rental Boats Await!
Is Victoria Falls Backpackers REALLY the best? Like, *really* REALLY best?
Okay, alright, let's get something straight: "best" is subjective. But, listen. I've seen things. I've dodged charging elephants (more on that later). I've choked down questionable street meat in far-flung corners of the world. And yeah, I've stayed in my fair share of backpacker hostels. VFB? It's got *potential*. The staff are alright-ish, the communal areas are lively, the location is pretty bangin'. But, that time I got locked out of my dorm at 3 AM after a particularly... enthusiastic night out? Not ideal. And the showers? Sometimes, just sometimes, you'd swear the water was coming from the Zambezi itself – lukewarm at best. Still, for the price and the vibe, it's definitely up there. Let's just say, you could do *way* worse. Way, way worse.
Is it safe? Like, REALLY safe? I saw a leopard once on a documentary...
Livingstone itself is generally pretty safe. The hostel? Mostly safe. Yes, there might be a mischievous baboon or two trying to snag your breakfast (protect your toast!), and yes, the resident gecko population can be a bit... enthusiastic about the nighttime insect bonanza. But, I never felt *unsafe*. Just use common sense. Don't flash wads of cash. Don't wander alone at night in dodgy areas. Keep your valuables locked up. And maybe, just maybe, be wary of overly friendly locals offering "special" deals. (Just saying... my friend learned the hard way about "magic" mushrooms.) And that leopard in the doc? Pretty sure it wasn't in town. Phew.
What's the vibe like? Is it a party hostel? I'm more of a quiet book reader...
Okay, this is crucial. Very crucial. VFB *leans* party. But it's not a full-on Ibiza rave. There's a bar, there's a pool, there's generally music playing... You're gonna hear thumping beats until late. If you're a hardcore bookworm, bring earplugs. And maybe find a quieter corner of the garden to hide away. (Good luck with that during happy hour.) But honestly, the mix of people is what makes the place. You'll meet the adrenaline junkies, the solo travelers, the gap-year kids still trying to figure out which continent they're on. It's loud, it's chaotic, but it's also... fun. (Most of the time.)
What activities are available? Help! I'm overwhelmed!
Overwhelmed? Honey, join the club. The list is endless. White water rafting? Yep. Bungee jumping? Yep. Devil's Pool? Yep. Sunset cruises? Yep. Elephant encounters? Yep (ethical ones, hopefully!). The hostel can book everything for you. You think it's cheaper doing it yourself? Maybe. But, after a few beers the convenience wins out. Honestly, start with the Falls themselves. They're spectacular. Then... pick something you're genuinely scared of. Seriously. Pushing your boundaries is a part of the adventure. Then get ready!
Tell me about the bungee jumping! Is it as terrifying as it looks? (Asking for a friend...)
Okay, so. Bungee jumping. This is where the real story begins. (My heart already starts racing writing this!) I went. I jumped. It was... a moment. That freefall! The wind! The sheer, utter terror. It felt like my entire life flashed before my eyes. (Okay, maybe not *my entire life*. More like, "Did I remember to pack enough snacks for the bus ride back?") But seriously, the anticipation... the walk across the bridge... the feeling of your life being in the hands of some random bloke... it's intense. And then... the jump. It's over in a flash. (Literally.) And then, the incredible sense of accomplishment followed by the overwhelming feeling of "I survived!" I highly recommend it... though I may need therapy.
What's the food situation like? I need my avocado toast!
Let's be honest: avocado toast? Probably not. But don't fret! The hostel has a bar and restaurant with pretty decent meals. (The burgers are reliable.) You'll find basics. The local market is an adventure in itself, you'll be able to find fresh ingredients. And Livingstone has restaurants. If you are tired of hostels, you'll be able to find something.
How do I get to Victoria Falls Backpackers? Can I just... walk? (Probably not, right?)
You *could* walk. (But don't.) It's not exactly a stroll. You can take a taxi. They're readily available. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, try a shared minibus. (Prepare for a bumpy ride and possibly some questionable music choices.) And be prepared to haggle. Everything is about to change once you step into the hostel. And after that, everything is an adventure!
What should I pack? I'm a notoriously over-packer...
Less is more. Seriously. You'll be sweating constantly. Pack light, breathable clothes. Sunscreen. Bug spray. A good book (even for the party-types). A sense of adventure. And maybe a spare pair of underwear. Because, trust me, you never know. And a plug adapter is life-saving. And don't forget your passport! (Duh.)
What's the Wi-Fi like? Because I need to Instagram EVERYTHING.

