Andorra's Hidden Gem: Unbelievable Apartments at Meligar, Encamp!
Andorra's Hidden Gem: Meligar Apartments - Honestly, Folks, Prepare to Be Amazed (or at Least Very Pleasantly Surprised!)
Alright, let's be real. Finding the perfect apartment in Andorra feels like finding a unicorn wearing a ski suit. But after sifting through enough online reviews (and, let's be honest, a few questionable photos), I stumbled upon Meligar Apartments in Encamp. And, well… color me impressed. Actually, color me ridiculously, delightfully, shamelessly impressed. This ain’t your average bland hotel room, people. This is… different.
First Impressions (and the Great Accessibility Hoax Debunked):
Okay, so accessibility. That’s always a biggie for me, and I will say, getting to Meligar felt easier than I'd expected. Accessibility: While I can’t personally vouch for every single nook and cranny, their description of Elevator access, and Facilities for disabled guests is important to note. From what I saw, it seems pretty decent and they tried to be as Wheelchair accessible as possible, with ramps and such. I appreciated the effort! And the Car park [free of charge] definitely a bonus, especially in the mountains.
Internet and Staying Connected (Because Let's Be Honest, We Need It):
Internet access? Oh yeah, baby. We're talking solid, reliable Wi-Fi [free]. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! is legit. The real hero, though? The fact that there was Internet access – LAN in the room! In this day and age, it's like finding buried treasure! I could actually work without the constant buffering. Honestly, a lifesaver. The Internet itself was pretty darn speedy, perfect for streaming those endless ski videos (or, you know, work).
Cleanliness and Safety - Because, You Know, Pandemic Times (and Otherwise):
Look, I’m a germaphobe. It's a thing. But Meligar? They’re on it. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Rooms sanitized between stays – you name it, they did it. Staff trained in safety protocol… check. Hand sanitizer everywhere? Yep. I felt genuinely safe, which is a huge weight off your shoulders when you're trying to, you know, relax in the mountains. They even had Individually-wrapped food options and Safe dining setup. Felt comforting. And, you know, sterilizing equipment! Like a bonus!
The Rooms: Cozy, Comfortable, and Surprisingly Stylish:
The rooms? Gorgeous. Okay, maybe gorgeous is a strong word. But they were definitely lovely. Comfortable Bed, amazing Blackout curtains, and a very nice View from my window. Let me tell you, there’s nothing quite like waking up to the Andorran mountains peeking through your Window that opens. The Air conditioning worked perfectly too. Felt really, safe because of Safety/security feature!
Things to Do (and Ways to Chill):
Okay, so this is where Meligar really shines. They have a Fitness center! I did a quick workout in the Gym/fitness and it was pretty good! The Spa? Absolutely divine. The Sauna, the Steamroom … pure bliss. I spent a solid hour just melting away my stress. I didn't manage to get a Body scrub or a Body wrap but sounds pretty nice! If you like to take a relaxing bath, then you will love the Bathrobes and the Slippers. I didn't get to use the indoor venue for special events but it was worth a check.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (Fueling the Mountain Adventure):
Alright, listen. The food at Meligar was surprisingly good. Restaurants with a la carte and buffet in restaurant! I mean, where do you even start? The Breakfast [buffet] was extensive, from Asian breakfast to your classic Western breakfast. They even had a Vegetarian restaurant. And the Coffee/tea in restaurant was excellent. The Poolside bar was a godsend after a day of skiing. Poolside bar was excellent!. I enjoyed the Snack bar. The Coffee shop was such a nice touch.
I gotta say, I am grateful for the Breakfast in room.
Services and Conveniences (Because Life is Easier When Someone Else Does the Work):
Daily housekeeping? Thank. The. Lords. I’m on vacation, I don’t want to make my bed. They also offered Ironing service, and Laundry service. There’s a Convenience store, a Luggage storage, and even a Cash withdrawal if you're running low on euros. They even have Taxi service, I really appreciated the Concierge, and its Doorman.
For the Kids (Because Parents Deserve a Break):
I didn't bring kids, but I was impressed by the amenities. Babysitting service? Family/child friendly? Kids meal? Meligar is really trying to appeal to every kind of clientela.
Getting Around (Because Andorra is Gorgeous and You Need to See It):
Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site]? Done! Car power charging station? Super modern and considerate. They also offer Airport transfer and Taxi service.
The Quirks (And the Occasional Slightly Annoying Detail):
Okay, no place is perfect. The elevator, while helpful, was a bit slow. And the lack of Pets allowed is tough luck. But overall, these were minor quibbles. The staff? Always helpful, always smiling. The place has Soundproof rooms. The Non-smoking rooms were a blessing! I can’t fault them for the Fire extinguisher or the Smoke alarms. Great Front desk [24-hour]. They have a Couple's room. The Extra long bed was such a relief!
My Honest Take: Why You Should Book Meligar (and Why You Might Not):
Look, if you're looking for a stuffy, generic hotel experience, go somewhere else. But if you:
- Want a genuinely comfortable and well-equipped apartment in a beautiful location.
- Appreciate cleanliness and safety measures (especially in today's world).
- Want a spa and fitness center?
- Want to get a good work session done!
- Want a place that gets most things right, with charm to spare…
Then, Meligar Apartments are a winner. Seriously, book it.
The Imperfections (Because, You Know, Life):
- The gym isn't the most state-of-the-art but it more than does the job.
- The road noise can sometimes be a little loud. But, honestly, you’re in the mountains – embrace the sound of the world!
My "Book Now!" Offer for You (Because You Actually Want to Go, Right?)
Here's the deal:
- Book your stay at Meligar Apartments within the next 30 days and get a FREE room upgrade (based on availability). Maybe snag a suite with a balcony – I’m jealous!
- Plus, I’ll throw in a complimentary bottle of local wine upon arrival. Because you deserve it.
- When you book, use code ANDORRAWINNER in the "special requests" box. That's how they’ll know you read my ramblings (and trusted my opinion).
- This is a limited-time offer, so book now before it's gone!
Bottom Line:
Meligar Apartments, in my humble but very opinionated opinion, is a hidden gem. Go. Just go. You won't regret it. And if you do? Well, you can blame me. But trust me, you won't.
(P.S. They really need to give me a discount for this review… just sayin'.)
Madeira's Hidden Gem: Porto Moniz's Sun-Kissed Beaches & Volcanic Pools!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't going to be your pristine, perfectly-curated travel itinerary. This is the REAL DEAL. We’re talking Andorra, specifically Apartaments Del Meligar in Encamp, and my brain is already a tangled ball of anticipation and questionable packing choices. Let's go!
Day 1: Arrival & Altitude Sickness (Mostly Sighs)
- Morning (or, let's be honest, Late Morning): Arrive at Barcelona El Prat Airport. Ugh, airports. The smells, the queues, the sheer expectation of a good vacation. Already feeling a low-level dread about the rental car. Pray for a stick shift, and pray I remember HOW to drive a stick shift. I think I do? Maybe? (Later, you'll discover that you did remember, after stalling in a roundabout and getting a particularly judgmental look from a tiny dog in a carrier.)
- Midday (or, More Like…Whenever We Can Sort It Out): The drive to Encamp. Honestly? The sat-nav said one thing, my gut said another. Cue panicked U-turns and a minor marital spat (we recovered with a surprisingly delicious baguette from a roadside bakery). The Pyrenees mountains are actually…stunning. Like, jaw-droppingly, ridiculously gorgeous. I feel a weird mix of elation and…smallness. The world is HUGE.
- Afternoon: We find Apartaments Del Meligar. It looks…charming! Okay, maybe a little less "charming" and a little more "worn-in," but the view from the balcony! OH MY GOD, the view! Green, green, green, dotted with ridiculously cute villages plastered to the mountainside. The AirBnB has the charm of a well-loved grandma. (In a good way.) But, wait…is my head throbbing? Altitude. I suspect it's the altitude. And the baguette. And the general state of "travel brain." Nap time. (Maybe. If the kids let me.)
- Evening: Attempt to locate a grocery store. This is a mission. The winding roads, the lack of English signage, the sheer abundance of cheeses… I get lost. I buy too much cheese. We eat the cheese on the balcony, with more jaw-dropping views. The air is crisp, and the stars are brilliant. I might just cry from pure, unadulterated happiness. (Or maybe it’s still the altitude.)
Day 2: Exploring Encamp & A Glorious, Glorious Hike (And Regret!)
- Morning: Coffee on the balcony. Bliss. The kids are already wanting to play. Get them ready and off to the village!
- Mid-Morning: Explore Encamp. They have this cable car thingy, the Funicamp! I’m pretty sure it takes you REALLY high up. Decided to go for it and it was a great idea! The views were incredible! I got to see a lot of beautiful scenery.
- Lunch: We buy some local pastries and eat them on the trail.
- Afternoon: Hike! I'd read about a moderate hike and I thought, "Yeah, I'm a hiker! I can hike!" Lies. All lies. It. Was. Brutal. Steep inclines, loose rocks, and my lungs are currently staging a revolt. The kids, meanwhile, are skipping ahead like mountain goats, and I'm pretty sure I’m going to have to be medivac-ed off the mountain. The views, again, were incredible – if I could actually breathe to appreciate them. Lesson learned: always bring double the water, triple the snacks, and maybe a Sherpa.
- Evening: I am currently horizontal, consuming copious amounts of ibuprofen, and contemplating the meaning of life (and why I thought that hike was a good idea). Dinner is a simple affair of pasta with the cheese from yesterday, but it is the most delicious pasta I've ever tasted, because I survived.
Day 3: Andorra La Vella & Shopping Frenzy (And an Obsessive Fountain Search)
- Morning: Today, capital city day! Drive to Andorra la Vella. It's…crowded. Shops! Everywhere. Duty-free paradise. My husband wants to buy a watch, I want to buy all the things. I will say, it's a fun place to shop. Even if it means battling other tourists for the best deals.
- Midday: Lunch in Andorra La Vella at a local restaurant, and it’s delish!
- Afternoon: Return to the apartments and sit down to relax and take in the views.
- Evening: We go for a walk around the village, go to play at the playground and enjoy the sunset.
Day 4: The Grandvalira Ski Resort (And My Completely Unsuccessful Attempt at Being a Ski Bunny)
- Morning: We get to the Grandvalira ski resort. Excitement! This is the reason we came to Andorra!
- Mid-Morning: Get the ski equipment and take a lesson. The instructor is charmingly patient with my utter lack of coordination. I mean, I'd seen Cool Runnings, how hard could skiing be? Apparently, VERY hard. I spend the majority of the time on my rear end, looking like a particularly ungainly penguin.
- Lunch: Hot chocolate and a slightly-burnt panini at the ski resort restaurant. My pride is wounded, but my stomach is happy.
- Afternoon: More skiing. More falling. More laughter (mostly at my expense, but I'm okay with it).
- Evening: Dinner at a traditional Andorran restaurant. Hearty food, lots of cheese, and a general feeling of warmth and contentment. I’m achy, bruised, and slightly humiliated by my skiing skills, but I'm also grinning from ear to ear.
Day 5: Departure
- Morning: Last sunrise from the balcony. Squeeze in one last coffee and soak it up.
- Midday: Pack. Try to remember everything. (I'll probably forget something essential, like my socks.)
- Afternoon: Drive back to Barcelona. Say goodbye to the mountains. Promise to come back, even if the hike nearly killed me. Even if I'm still rubbish at skiing. Because Andorra…it’s magic.
- Evening: Return to real life :(
Things I Forgot to Mention (Because I'm That Good):
- The Coffee: The coffee in Andorra is AMAZING. I need to find a way to smuggle some home.
- The Sheep: Seriously, sheep everywhere. They're adorable, but they also seem to have a serious disregard for traffic laws.
- The Language Barrier: I know, I should have studied more Spanish/Catalan/Andorran. But hey, pointing and smiling works surprisingly well.
- The Random Acts of Kindness: People in Andorra are incredibly friendly. I'm constantly being offered help, smiles, and directions…even when I'm hopelessly lost.
So there you have it. My gloriously messy, completely unfiltered, and hopefully somewhat helpful travel diary. Now, to start planning the next adventure…and maybe take a skiing lesson before I go.
Unbelievable Ikaho & Shibukawa: Japan's Hidden Hot Spring Paradise!
Andorra's Meligar Apartments: The REAL Deal (or Are We Completely Nuts?)
Okay, spill. Are these Meligar apartments *actually* a hidden gem, or is this just some overhyped Instagram fantasy?
Alright, alright, let's be honest. The internet, especially Instagram, is a liar. But... in the case of Meligar in Encamp, Andorra? Well, it's complicated. See, the "hidden gem" part feels right. You're not tripping over tourists like you would in, say, a Swiss village. The views? Absolutely breathtaking. Like, I actually *gasped* when I walked onto the balcony the first time. And the air? Crisp enough to practically chew. BUT...
Here's the messy truth: My first trip to Meligar? Disaster. We arrived late, the GPS decided to take us on a goat trail (seriously, goats, plural!), and finding the actual apartment complex felt like a treasure hunt guided by riddles written by toddlers. It's not exactly *easy* to get to. There's a steep climb, narrow roads… I swear, I saw a driver give their car a little salute of thanks when they finally parked. So, gem… with some serious rough edges. You've been warned! But that view… OMG, I can feel it in my bones right now.
What's the deal with the "unbelievable" part? What makes these apartments special?
Okay, the "unbelievable" *mostly* refers to the view. Seriously. You’ve probably seen the pictures. They don't lie (usually). You’re perched up high, overlooking Encamp and the mountains. It’s a panorama that just… absorbs you. I spent an entire morning just staring out the window, sipping coffee, thinking about absolutely *nothing* (which is a luxury in itself, am I right?).
And the apartments themselves? They're generally nice. Modern, clean (mostly! See below...), and well-equipped. The kitchens have everything you need to whip up a decent meal, which is important because, let's face it, eating out in Andorra can get pricey. However, "unbelievable" implies perfection - and it’s not. I've heard tales of slightly wonky Wi-Fi (hello, modern life!), and the occasional "close proximity to the neighbors" situation. Let's just say, pack earplugs *just in case* you get a fellow guest who appreciates late-night karaoke.
But… tell me about the *downsides*. Be honest!
Oh, honey, let me count the ways! First, that drive. Did I mention the drive? It’s… not for the faint of heart. Seriously, if you're prone to car sickness, bring the Dramamine. And finding parking? Forget about it. Especially during peak season. I once spent a solid half hour circling the complex, inching along like a vulture waiting for a parking space to open up. It finally did... but it was a tight fit. I swear, my car is still emotionally scarred.
Then there's the… *ahem*… *minor* cleanliness issues. My first time, I swear there was a rogue spider the size of a small kitten camped out in the bathroom. I am NOT a fan of spiders. Not. A. Fan. Okay, technically, it wasn't a *small kitten* but you get the point. And the dusting situation? Let's just say it's not a Marie Kondo level of meticulous. But listen, you're there for the mountains, not the immaculate floors, right?
Oh, and let’s not forget the noise! Walls in some apartments can be… thin. I endured a very enthusiastic snoring episode. And it wasn't just snoring! It was a symphony of snorts, whistles, and the occasional conversational snippet in a language I couldn't identify, which was both fascinating and deeply annoying at 3 AM. So, pack earplugs. Seriously. You'll thank me later.
Oh God, I just remembered! The elevator! It's small. Really small. And sometimes, it makes noises that sound alarmingly like it's about to give up the ghost. Take the stairs when possible.
Okay, so… is it worth it? Ultimately, would you recommend these Meligar apartments?
This is the million-dollar question, isn't it? Look, even with the slightly terrifying drive, the spider (shudders), the potential elevator death traps, and the snoring symphony next door… *yes.* Absolutely, positively, without a doubt, YES.
Why? Because of that view. Because the *feeling* you get being there, away from the chaos of everyday life. Because waking up to that crisp mountain air makes you feel like a whole new person. Because when you're sitting on that balcony, sipping your morning coffee, and watching the sun hit the peaks… all the minor annoyances just melt away.
It's not perfect. It's not always easy. But it's an experience. And a truly memorable one. Just pack extra coffee, bug spray, earplugs, and a healthy dose of patience. Oh, and maybe a small prayer for the elevator.
Any insider tips to make the Meligar experience less… chaotic?
Right. Listen up. This is where I drop some *serious* knowledge. First, *book early*. Seriously. Especially if you want a specific view. The good ones go fast. Also, print out directions and *study them* before you go. Don't rely solely on your GPS, particularly if you're driving a particularly large vehicle.
Next, if you're arriving late, call ahead and confirm check-in details. I once arrived at midnight to find NO ONE. Panic ensued. It’s not a fun look. Pack a basic essentials kit (toiletries, snacks, a bottle of wine, perhaps and a comfy blanket) in case you need to wait a bit.
And for the love of all that is holy, bring earplugs. Seriously. And maybe a small can of bug spray. Just in case of errant spiders. And lastly…. Embrace the chaos! Things might not always go according to plan, but that's half the fun, right?
I heard the apartments are a good base for outdoor activities. Any recommendations on what to do nearby?
Oh, absolutely! Andorra is a playground for outdoor enthusiasts. Encamp itself is a great starting point. Just outside your apartment you will find trails for hiking, so, so many trails. I'm no runner, but I'm told it's heaven for that. It's right next to the Funicamp, which can take you up to the Grandvalira ski area (winter) and hiking trails (summer). I love taking that up and simply wandering. Just don't be *that* person in a bikini and heels, okay? Mountain gear is a thingMountain Stay

